FRIDAY, Aug. 19, 2022 (HealthDay Information) – The dying of a kid in Nebraska used to be most likely brought about via an an infection with a “brain-eating amoeba” that passed off after the kid swam in a neighborhood river, state well being officers introduced this week.
In a information unencumber, officers mentioned it used to be the primary such dying ever reported within the state’s historical past. Referred to as Naegleria fowleri, the amoeba could cause number one amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a mind an infection this is extraordinarily uncommon, however just about all the time deadly.
“Millions of recreational water exposures occur each year, while only 0 to 8 Naegleria fowleri infections are identified each year,” state epidemiologist Dr. Matthew Donahue famous within the information unencumber. “Infections typically occur later in the summer, in warmer water with slower flow, in July, August, and September. Cases are more frequently identified in southern states, but more recently have been identified farther north. Limiting the opportunities for freshwater to get into the nose are the best ways to reduce the risk of infection.”
The U.S. Facilities for Illness Keep an eye on and Prevention is operating to verify the reason for the kid’s dying thru checks, Lindsay Huse, director of the Douglas County Well being Division, mentioned right through a Wednesday information convention at the kid’s dying, NBC Information reported.
Huse mentioned the kid had long gone swimming on Aug. 8 in Nebraska’s Elkhorn River, become symptomatic 5 days later and used to be hospitalized inside of 48 hours after signs started.
The kid, who government have no longer launched further details about out of appreciate for the circle of relatives, died on Aug. 18, Dr. Kari Neemann, scientific consultant for Douglass County, mentioned right through a information convention at the dying.
“Right now, we are simply urging the public to be aware and take precautions when they are being exposed to any warm, freshwater sources,” Huse said.
The single-celled organism N. fowleri can be found in soil and in freshwater, such as lakes, streams, hot springs and rivers. It can infect people when contaminated water goes up the nose. The amoeba has been found in Northern states more often as climate change fuels rising air and water temperatures.
The amoeba infects about three people annually in the United States and is typically fatal, according to the CDC. A total of 154 known amebic meningoencephalitis infections happened between 1962 and 2021. Only four of those infected survived.
A Missouri resident also died from infection with the amoeba in July, possibly contracting it while swimming in an Iowa lake.
Swimmers should try to prevent water from entering their noses by plugging their noses if going underwater in freshwater, Huse said. Health officials also suggest not stirring up sediment in shallow warm water. Swallowing water does not cause this infection.
“Make sure that you are not engaging in activities that are causing forceful water up the nose such as water skiing, high speed tubing, those sorts of activities,” Huse mentioned.
The U.S. Facilities for Illness Keep an eye on and Prevention has extra on brain-eating amoeba.
Leave a Reply